The Superior Court’s Ability to Execute Deeds and Documents

Sometimes situations present themselves where a party needs a deed or other key document signed but a party to a case or a defaulted party to case refuses to cooperate.  In these situations, the person can petition the court to have a person at the court sign the document.  This is done through an elisor.  An elisor is a person appointed by the court to perform functions like the execution of a deed or a document, typically, on behalf of a recalcitrant party in order to effectuate the court’s judgment on orders. Schorr Law recently encountered the need for an elisor in connection with a partition action.

A recent appellate case discusses the court’s inherent power to appoint an elisor to effectuate its orders. In Blueberry Properties, LLC v. Chow (2014), (Court of Appeals Case No. B254259), defendant Esther Chow (“Chow”) entered into an agreement to sell her property to plaintiff Blueberry Properties, LLC (“Blueberry”). Chow refused to consummate the sale and Blueberry sued for specific performance of the purchase agreement. The parties reached a settlement, under which Chow agreed to sell the property to Blueberry under the original terms of the purchase agreement. However, Chow then refused to comply with the terms of the settlement by withholding her signature to complete the sale. As a result, the court entered judgment and appointed the court clerk to act as an elisor to execute all the necessary documents to effectuate the sale on behalf of Chow. Chow filed an appeal to challenge the trial court’s post-judgment order appointing the clerk of the court as an elisor to execute the escrow agreement on behalf of Chow. The Court of Appeals affirmed the judgment, holding that the trial court properly exercised its power under Code Civ. Proc. § 128(a)(4) to enforce its valid judgment. The court’s holding was based on the principle that the trial court has the inherent power to exercise reasonable control over the litigation before it, as well as the inherent power and equitable power to achieve justice. (Venice Canals Resident Home Owners Assn. v. Superior Court (1977) 72 Cal.App.3d 675, 579.)

The attorneys at Schorr Law are well versed in real estate law relating to partitions and other real estate matters. To inquire about a free 30-minute consultation, contact us by phone at (310) 954-1877 or by sending us a message via our Contact Form, or through email at

Share Button
Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Ownership, Partition

Zachary D. Schorr’s Expert Appearance on the Dr. Phil Show

Zachary D. Schorr’s Expert Appearance on ABC’s Nightline

Contact Schorr Law

Super Lawyers

Zachary Schorr Superlawyers

Zachary D. Schorr has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers (Rising Stars) list for attorneys in Real Estate for 5 straight years - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state receive this honor. In 2016 he was also included as one of the top 100 lawyers in Southern California in this category. The selection for this respected list is made by the research team at Super Lawyers.

Need Representation?

If you are currently involved in a real estate dispute, either commercial real estate or residential, and are looking for a Real Estate Attorney in Los Angeles with a cost-effective, results oriented approach designed to meet your case's specific needs, contact the attorneys at Schorr Law. Our real estate firm has the specific knowledge and experience necessary to get you the best possible results.

AVVO 10.0

Zachary Schorr Avvo Rating

Avvo Clients’ Choice Award Recipient

Zachary Schorr Avvo Client's Choice Award