3 Tips Before Buying Property with A Boyfriend or Girlfriend

One of the most common fact patterns we see in our real estate litigation practice is an ex-boyfriend, ex-girlfriend, ex-fiancée, or ex partner who purchased property and then broke up with their relationship partner.   The relationship break up also typically means that there has to be a break up with respect to the jointly owned property.   Here are a few things to consider before buying property with a significant other:

1. Do you have a plan if the relationship does not work out?

We suggest discussing this ahead of time. Make sure to write down an agreement that both parties sign that governs the co-tenancy relationship.

2. What if one person wants to the sell the property and the other does not?

See number 1 above.   In reality, we recommend that parties enter into an agreement of co-tenants where you can discuss things like whether either party can force a sale (has an unqualified right to partition) or whether there is going to be a waiver of partition rights.   The parties can agree to terms like a right of first refusal, a period of time during which the property cannot be sold, or even a mechanism for sale or a buy out.

3.  Are you both going to be on title?

Our real estate attorneys have extensive experience with real estate break ups where one party is not even on title. This becomes tricky. Usually, what happens in these situations is one party agrees to go on title because they have better credit but the other party contributes equally to the purchase of the property. Years or months later the parties end their relationship and the party who is on title tries to squeeze out the other party by denying their ownership interest and often times even attempting to evict them with an unlawful detainer.

We recommend both parties be on title – but if not, see number 1, above, and sign an agreement.

Our attorneys frequently deal with the real estate fall out from failed relationships where the asset of the relationship is real estate.  For more information or to inquire about a free consultation contact us today at (310) 954-1877, info@schorr-law.com. You can also send us a message by using our Contact Form.

by  Zachary D. Schorr, Esq.

Share Button
Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Homeowners, Joint Tenancy, Ownership, Partition, Quiet Title, Quit Claim, Real Estate Attorney Los Angeles

Zachary D. Schorr’s Expert Appearance on the Dr. Phil Show

Zachary D. Schorr’s Expert Appearance on ABC’s Nightline

Contact Schorr Law

Super Lawyers

Zachary Schorr Superlawyers

Zachary D. Schorr has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers (Rising Stars) list for attorneys in Real Estate for 5 straight years - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state receive this honor. In 2016 he was also included as one of the top 100 lawyers in Southern California in this category. The selection for this respected list is made by the research team at Super Lawyers.

Need Representation?

If you are currently involved in a real estate dispute, either commercial real estate or residential, and are looking for a Real Estate Attorney in Los Angeles with a cost-effective, results oriented approach designed to meet your case's specific needs, contact the attorneys at Schorr Law. Our real estate firm has the specific knowledge and experience necessary to get you the best possible results.

AVVO 10.0

Zachary Schorr Avvo Rating

Avvo Clients’ Choice Award Recipient

Zachary Schorr Avvo Client's Choice Award